Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Written from Home

There is an ice cream place back home where we all went as little kids. In the back of it, near the picnic tables, was a hill that went up to the road. The coolest possible thing to do back then was climb the hill to eat your ice cream, and run back down at the end. Parents didn’t come up there, and it just wasn’t cool to sit at the picnic tables with them.

I went to get ice cream for the first time this year, and when I drove past the hill, it was all overgrown. There was no place to sit anymore, and no kids running. I’m sure a much better writer than I am could come up with some kind of deliciously beautiful symbolism here, but the fact of the matter is, I had to grow up as much as nature did.

Besides, I would have looked pretty silly sitting up there on that hill at my age, wouldn’t I?

1 comment:

kellerie said...

never, ever stop doing things because you think you're too old and will look silly!!!!

now, please excuse me, but I have to find a hill to roll down.