Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Anger at the Medical World

Rewind the clocks to the end of summer vacation.
Six weeks ago, I went to the doctor.
I was dizzy and tired all the time, along with an assortment of other issues.
Blood tests, among other things, were run.
(Which was interesting, because they couldn't find a vein... I'm Irish and pale... you can see my veins through my skin)
Anyway...
They were pretty sure it was my thyroid.

TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels (normally) are from 0.34-5.6
I was at a 5.68, which is what they call "borderline."
So, I had borderline hypothyroidism
They told me to come back in six weeks, so they could test me again.
And they told me to fast beforehand, so they could check my cholesterol too.

So, rewind the clock to last Friday.
I go in to have another set of blood tests done.
Once again, they can't find a vein
Either way, blood tests are done.

Yesterday, I get a call from the doctor's office.
"We need you to call in to schedule a follow up appointment,
To get your test results and discuss treatment."
...
Treatment for what?!!? They didn't tell me anything!
I freaked out all day and night... Ugh

And now we're rewinding to an hour ago.
The doctor gives me my test results...
My little "borderline" 5.68 has jumped...
To a 17.03
And now we've decided to put me on the medication.

But this isn't the worst part...
The stupid cholesterol check came back normal overall
But my triglycerides (levels of fat in the body) were high
Well, duh... I live on campus
All I eat is deep-fried crap... what else is there?

Which is the fun part... the doctor says I can't have a lot of saturated fats...
"Stay away from them."
And "avoid deep-fried foods."
She's damned me to starve to death on campus...

Sure, I could eat a salad or two... But man cannot live on salad alone...
I'm about the pickiest eater ever...
So I'm gonna be real miserable for awhile.
But I guess I can't be too upset if it means being healthy.

2 comments:

kellerie said...

the thyroid meds will make you feel MUCH better!

Amanda Faye said...

That's what I've been told...