Sunday, February 22, 2009

Old Poetry Jag...

Okay, so if you read my previous post, you'll realize that I broke out the old journals from high school... So be prepared for angsty teen poetry, but only the ones I kind of like regardless...

These poems are more from a time when I started putting dates and times on my poetry, so I actually know exactly how old I was when these were written...  Without further adieu, two of my crappy, seventeen-year-old, high-school-minded, still-living-at-home, ax-to-grind poems...

Pictures
December 30, 2005-- 1:09 a.m.

Pictures line the wall above my head
A girl stares at me over six years
The same smiling face
Through those years

Six years of smiles and frowns, laughter and tears
Years of pride and accomplishments
That have been forgotten, gone unnoticed
Which might explain her eyes

How they started out innocent, stayed that way with friends
She smiled with her first date, her third
And then the pictures changed
And it was just her.

Standing by a bell. alone; even though the other kids weren't
Posing in the grass and on the floor
Just like the other kids whose parents ordered pictures
Only she ordered them for herself.

And soon they'll be two more
Where she'll still be all alone
And I wonder...
What will her eyes say then?



Love is... Hate
December 31, 2005-- 1:01 a.m.

Love is when one tear of sorrow is an ocean
And you'd do anything to find the rowboat. 
Love is when one whispered promise could form a civilization
But one lie could destroy it.
Love is when sweet nothings are suddenly everything,
And you crave them more than anything

Hate is when the tears of sorrow fall unchecked
And no one bothers to look for the rowboat.
Hate is when every whispered promise is broken
Even though you knew it would be
Hate is when those sweet nothings lose their sugar
And every word becomes salt on a wound.

Extremes like night and day
Yet they go hand in hand
The best and worst, side by side
Stuck in an uncontrollable tango
Stepping on everyone's toes
Ruining everyone's evening.

No comments: