Friday, January 16, 2009

Winter Needs to Step Off...

Okay, so this morning, I'm working the desk
From 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
And I didn't go to bed till after 3:00 in the morning...
You do the math...

Anyway, I got up to come into work
And it is FREEZING outside...
My hair froze outside...
It burned my hands to touch the steering wheel...
I mean, I didn't even hear birds outside
And I always hear birds
Come to think of it, I didn't see squirrels either...
Poor little black squirrels... I hope they stay warm.

Tonight, I think the Winter Break staff
May be going out to dinner together...
But I'm not sure, as we're all supposed to move tonight
And I know that I'm not even close to being packed.

So let me tell you why I was up so late last night.
Our washing machines here don't use quarters...
They use a laundry card.
It works like a reloadable gift card type thing
But someone in their infinite wisdom
Decided that there ought to be only 4 machines on campus

So I put all my laundry in the machine around 10:45 p.m.
Pour in my soap, and, I thought, started the machines
Because you put the card in the slot, push the button
Then take the card out.
But if you don't do it just right, the machine charges you
But does not start washing.

This is what happened with my last load
Only I didn't know it until 45 minutes later
When I came in to switch clothes to the dryer
So after I put those in the dryer
I had to leave my building, go to Tri Towers
Go to the ATM because I only had singles
And the machine only takes 5's 10's and 20's
Then put money on the stupid card

The girl working at Tri desk (24 hour desk)
Talked to me forever
Well, I guess I was talking too, but still
And so I started the last load in the washer around 1:00 a.m.
It was 2:30 in the morning before it was dry
And I went to bed without folding.

In between all of this, I began packing things.
I still am not ready to leave, but at least I made headway.
And now, I am going to go find something to drink.
Stay warm! It's nasty outside!

No comments: